At our March meeting we were excited to announce that we are holding two workshops from Irene MacWilliam!
Come and spend an afternoon learning and having fabric-fun in the company of the celebrated patchworker and textile artist Irene MacWilliam, all the way from Belfast! Irene has exhibited all over Ireland, the UK, Europe and America and has won more prizes for her work than there is room here to list and is a sought after teacher. This is likely to be a popular class and places are limited, so secure your place asap!
On June 13th, we’re holding a half day workshop entitled “Japanese Folded Patchwork.”
Various shapes will be explored : squares, diamonds, triangles. These produce double sided units that can be made into decorations, wall-hangings, fabric boxes or full-size quilts. We’ll also look at other origami based patches. This fun class is suitable for all levels of ability.
The class will run after the meeting, in the Sacred Heart Hall on Saturday 13th June, approximately 1.30pm to 3.30pm. Bring a packed lunch. Tea and biscuits will be provided!
• Fabric scissors, paper scissors
• Cardboard for making templates (not plastic). Cereal packets are ideal – as many as you can
• Ruler, pencil, sharpener, rubber, compass (if you have one)
• Crayons or colouring pencils, if you have them
• Rotary cutter and board, if you have them
• FABRIC – at least ¼m each of 3 or 4 cotton fabrics. Wide striped fabric works well. One fabric should be plain e.g. cream calico.
• WADDING – any batting will do, scrap pieces will do or ¼m maximum
• BONDAWEB – off cut pieces, no need to buy especially
• General hand sewing supplies – pins, needles, thread (for tacking and to match fabric), quilting thread, fancy threads. Beads and sequins for decoration, only if you have them
• Please bring your ‘craft iron’, table ironing pad or board and extension lead if you have one
• Bring a digital camera if you have one
Japanese Folded Patchwork workshop – €20
Secure your place with a €10 non-refundable deposit – sign up list at the door at the March, April and May meetings
On Sunday June 14th we’ll hold a full day workshop entitled: “Explore and Create with Your Sewing Machine”
This workshop covers free machine control …. drawing, cut work cobwebs, cord making, perfect circles, sequins by machine and various tricks on how to get the most out of your sewing machine. What about tensions? Mini lectures on care of your machine and on needles and threads. All levels of ability.
The class will run on Sunday 14thth June, in the Sacred Heart Hall, prompt start at 10.00am sharp to approximately 3.30pm. Bring a packed lunch. Tea and biscuits will be provided!
• Zig-zag sewing machine, with all accessories and instruction book. Don’t forget your foot pedal and transformer if required.
• Spare machine needles – size 80 or 90
• Variety of sewing threads, some machine embroidery threads if you have them
• 6” or 8” embroidery hoop – wooden or spring clip (easily purchased)
• Pieces of plain cotton or calico
• Small sharp scissors, pins
• Pencil and notebook
• At least 8 sheets of scrap paper
• Smallish pieces of wadding – an offcut will be fine
• Please bring an extension lead if you have one
Explore and Create with your Sewing Machine – €50 Secure your place with a €25 non-refundable deposit – sign up list at the door at the March, April and May meetings
For more information about Ms. MacWilliam, check out her website here.
One thought on “Announcing Irene MacWilliam Workshops June 13 and 14th!”
Hi there. I would love to go to this workshop if it is open to other groups. I am a member of the mid west group. When is the April meeting on ? Can I book a place by post? I am new to patchwork and keen to learn all I can. Regards Imelda O’Grady